Saturday, July 17, 2010

Masquerade Ball

My friend Victoria, who just had her transplant 2 months ago,  came up with the fantastic idea of a Masquerade Ball in aid of LLTGL.   Myself and Kirsty, who had her lung transplant last year and is another Scottish LLTGL advocate,  have joined forces to make this a huge success.  We have Team Glasgow in action :-)

There are tentative offers of a venue in Glasgow but this is to be confirmed. It will be a formal ball, with sit down three course meal and entertainment provided.   We are planning on a silent auction and a raffle and/or tombola for smaller prizes to maximise funds raised.   We have been contacting various companies looking for prizes over the last couple of days and have had a few positive responses so far.  We have a Walker short bread hamper, two tickets for Scottish Opera and I am just heading out to Glengoyne Distiller to pick up a 17yr single malt and 4 tickets for their master blender session which normally costs £30 per ticket.  Not bad for a days work ;-)  I think the unique point is that we are three double lung transplant recipients teaming up to raise awareness and I am hoping people will respond to this.

So, can you help???!!  If you work for a large company who may donate a prize or if you have anything yourself you could donate, then please get in touch.  We are looking for any prizes, no matter how small, as we will need lots of smaller things for raffle and tombola/lucky dip.  Of course if anyone wants to help by approaching local shops or businesses then please do so - we welcome any addition to our task force!    If you want to email please use weejaq AT hotmail.com.

Apart from all the ball planning I have mostly been painting.  Oh how much I hate painting wood now!  The doors with glass panels are proving the most tedious as I am either scraping or touching up or sanding down until they look presentable.  Hopefully we are nearly finished downstairs and upstairs should be quicker as it is just skirtings and facings.  I also need to get cracking with the other type of painting as I have some canvases to do for mum, who is changing her decor.  I have bought one giant 100cm x 50cm canvas to go behind my bed at home (it is of course still MY bedroom).  I had to get this in the art shop in town and carried it home myself....on the train.   I took up 4 seats on the train and then had to walk up the town centre with it under my arm, swinging it dangerously about.  It was nearly the same size as me and I am pretty sure people were staring.  It's too hard to park in town though so needs must and I was basically feeling a bit dare devil haha.

Work news is just busy, busy, busy.  I ended up doing a home visit scheduled for 3.30pm at 5pm, even though I finish at 5pm.  I could have just cancelled it but it's not really fair on the lady.  Luckily it is on my way home so I just went straight home after and probably got back at much the same time as usual.   I have also agree to be the staff grade representative at medical division meetings at work - basically sit and listen to the consultants chat about management issues and take forward any staff grade issues.  Myself and Jamie from work are going to share the responsibility and also organise the medical student teaching programme together.  This is good stuff for my CV though!

Well I better go and do something useful.....maybe a drop of painting.

4 comments:

Anne said...

Hi Jacqueline, my do you never stop!! The ball sounds like a fab idea and should be lots of fun! We will see what we can do to help with prizes. John offered one of his fruit loaves but I managed to talk him out of that!! You have done well so far. Your work sounds really interesting too at the moment. I am just packing (again!) as we are going down to England tomorrow to visit everyone. We will be away a week so hope we get some sunshine as it has been absolutely awful here this week. Will speak soon. take care lol Annexx

Sarah said...

I want to go! lol!
Do you want some butterfly bracelets? I'm into magnetic catches now! ;)
xxxxx

Kelly said...

Wow! What a fabulous idea. Team Glasgow have been hard at work! I predict a lot of hard work and lots of fun and laughter ahead in the planning of this ball. I also predict it will be amazing :-)

xxx

lulu said...

This sounds like a cracking event and I will do my best to raid my piggybank to be there! I'm sure you ladies will be able to raise the profile of lung transplantation and its huge benefits...I've been checking out the railfares already!! Lol! Have fun with all the prep and lemme know (tho Im not Glaswegian) if I can help in anyway (my grandma is half Scottish so that might be useful!) xxx