Wednesday, April 04, 2018

Good news!!

My CF doc phoned this morning to tell me I have been funded for my ECP treatment!!!!!!! The best news I've had in a long time!!  Brought a wee tear to my eye...

The funding is for 6 months initial treatment - this will establish if I am a responder e.g lung function stabilises.   If I am a responder then I will probably need 'top ups' and we can apply for further funding if this is needed.   If I am not a responder then at least I have been given this fantastic opportunity and wont have that awful feeling that I never had a chance at this treatment.

I don't know the details of when this will start, or exactly how often (generally its 2 x 5hr sessions every 2 weeks).  It will be in Glasgow, so much easier for me than having to go to Newcastle.  The ECP doctor will contact me to make the arrangements but I do need to get venous access sorted before we start treatment.  I have poor veins (years of being prodded!) and they aren't good enough for the treatment, so I've to get a permacath (most commonly used in dialysis) put in before we can start.  This will be a less permanent version of the portacath I had for most of my life pre-transplant, so I'm not worried about that.  It might be bit annoying having tubes dangling about my person, but a small price to pay. 

I really needed this wee boost, as have not been feeling great since I last blogged.  It turned out I did have the parvo virus and it's taking ages to fully clear.  I was unwell with flu like illness last weekend, so not sure if it was re-emergence of parvo, or another virus, but I've been really tired since.  I am slowly recovering and ended up taking last week and this week off work.   I realised I haven't actually had to ask the GP for a sick line since my transplant, so I must never have been off more than a week since then!   I hate staying off work as feel like I am letting patients down when I cancel appointments - however I know this time I did need to just try and stop for a while and get on top of this and hopefully I will be back to better health just in time to get started on this next journey.

I will post again once I have more info about when I can get started with treatment and what it will entail.     For now I am just so relieved that I am being given this chance.   


2 comments:

Anne John and Ross said...

Hi, Wonderful news at last! Fingers crossed you get started soon and get this show on the road! Now you have to look after yourself. You are not letting anyone down by doing that. Take care Keep on keeping on! lol Anne John and Ross xxxxxxx

Lourdes said...

Such great news! I'm praying for you from across the pond!
Lourdes
long time Wee Seb fan