Monday, January 01, 2007

Health and Happiness for 2007

I would just like to wish everyone a very Happy New Year!

Traditionally this is a time to look back over the past year; to lay your life out before you and examine the ups and downs, the good and the bad, and to wonder how you can carry forward only the positives and create a new year filled with opportunity and adventure. However, looking back on last year I don't think I can separate the good from the bad. 2006 was a year where I was forced to make many adjustments in my life: to adapt to declining health; to learn that work does not define me; to relinquish some of my independence and accept help from others; to be placed on the transplant list and learn to live with both the fear of being called, and the fear of never being called.

I suppose written in black and white, my list of memories for 2006 could appear to be memories of sad and stressful times. Yes, like everyone else I have had my own share of sadness, my own share of stress, but equally I have had more than a generous share of happiness, laughter and pure unadulterated silliness. Adjusting to life on the transplant list has been both the lowest and the highest point of the year. This dichotomy arises from the simultaneous fear that the transplant will not be successful or that it could bring a whole new set of problems, set against the glittering hope that it will be a gift that is truly life changing.

I will not look look back on 2006 as a year to be forgotten, or one I need to put in the past. I will instead carry forward what I have learnt, and my resolution will be to continue to learn, to adapt and to enjoy my life as it is. Should this be the year where I get that 'call' then so be it, but if it is not I am sure I will still be much richer in experience, much wiser in mind and hopefully just as healthy in spirit by next New Year. So, here's to Health and Happiness for 2007!

3 comments:

Dave said...

I have had the opportunity to look back over this past year and I hope that I will learn from my successes and failures. All the best in the new year!

Fi said...

Me again :) Health and Happiness. What more could we wish for. I hope, and know you will, get lots in abundance.

Jayne said...

Happy New Year Jac, (yes, you can say it ;)

Your posts are so thoughtful. I hope your year brings you all you wish for and more besides.

xx