Thursday, December 28, 2006

Christmas: The Musical

I was a little frustrated to discover that my pre-emptive strike with IV's had missed its mark slightly, therefore I had to start some oral antibiotics a few days before Christmas. On Christmas eve I was feeling extremely puffed, resulting in a forced suppression of my usual hyperactive childlike behaviour of chatting excitedly, whilst repeating at 10 minute intervals "only one more sleep 'til Christmas!" My calm and contained mood extended into the afternoon, when, as per tradition, my friends came over to visit and we chatted and exchanged gifts in a mature fashion. However following the family tradition of watching a Christmas film before bedtime, I could contain myself no longer. This year we watched "Santa Claus the movie". I don't know how I could seriously be expected to watch a film with Santa, reindeers, and magical moments, without becoming a little excited. The result was a serious case of insomnia, where I was still lying awake at 2am listening for the jingling of Santa's sleigh.

Christmas morning started at 7am (this is the earliest I am allowed to wake anyone else). I opened my stocking first and gave Andrew his, kindly allowing my parents another 10 minutes in bed before I woke them up by playing the First Noel loudly on the piano. (And yes I know at 27 it would appear that I am too old for a stocking but I say bah humbug to that). We then spent the next hour (or two) opening gifts and strewing paper around the living room. In the middle of the mayhem Seb ran about franticly squeaking his new toy and generally looking pleased with himself. Several hours were then spent recovering from this burst of activity and excitement before we all sat down to a lovely Christmas dinner. As usual mum cooked a beautiful meal, and although I had to go and lie down half way through (due to tiny appetite and lack of sleep) I did manage to squeeze in dessert later in the evening, so did not miss out. After lying down, I clearly made a full recovery as was later to be seen clutching the microphone of my new PS2 with sing star game, whilst belting out Patsy Cline's "Crazy". I understand some people are under the illusion I may be able to sing because I played the piano when younger, however, I can assure you the two talents are in no way interchangeable. The fact the sing star game scores your performance was testimony to my lack of musical ability, as is the fact that even my mum tells me to stop. Despite the poor performance, it was great fun and I'm sure it is a wonderful lung workout, if nothing else.


I am now just taking things easy and preparing for the next burst of activity over new year. This will be spent at my mum and dads, but Andrews parents will also be joining us. I suspect the sing star game may make an appearance. As you can see, Seb is also relaxing after all the excitement. He can't quite believe he has to wait another whole year before Santa comes again.


2 comments:

Nicola said...

Glad you had a lovely day,and it certainly looks as though Seb did too.I love Singstar,but whatever you do,under any circumstances,do not press the playback button and listen to yourself.I done it once after I somehow managed to get a good score.......it's completely evil!!!

Fi said...

My dogs got the same hat between them! I shall put a photo up when I can. Good to be back and reading, glad you had a good day...