Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Foxes....(and other ramblings)

Andrew took this video clip from our upstairs window a couple of weeks ago. He had looked out at 7am and saw two adult foxes with two fox cubs playing in next doors garden! The cubs were really cute and were rolling around with each other, enjoying the early morning sunshine. Of course with all the bad press foxes have had recently mum was horrified by the video and would like me to batten down the hatches ;-) Despite the fence I know the foxes can jump into our garden because I have seen them during the night and they also leave evidence of large foot prints in the vegetable beds where they jump the fence! I therefore don't let Seb out early morning or late evening on his own (he probably does look like a tasty rabbit) but I still think it is fascinating seeing these animals so close up.

fox (click image for video link)




I had a quiet weekend after a rather hectic week. The weather was quite overcast but we did manage to do some garden tidying which seems a never ending task in the summer and visit mum and dad for some free dinner.  We have not had any news about the building warrant yet but hopefully it wont be too much longer and we can get started on the extension this year!

Friday was a very reflective day as I attended the funeral of a fellow colleague with CF. He was in my year at university and we both ended up in the field of psychiatry. He had been doing well on this path, having passed his membership exams last year and also getting married. I heard the sad news about his death from my friend, who is also a psychiatrist, and we both attended the service along with some other colleagues. We did not know each other very well, and in fact, were kept segregated at university due to cross infection risks but of course I also knew him through CF clinic and I always thought it so unusual that we should both be in the same year at medical school. It gives me a stark reminder of what a devastating illness CF still is and how lucky I am to have been given this second chance. Life is indeed short and I am so glad to be still living it, loving it and sharing it with the amazing friends and family around me. (and seb :-))

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi, Jacqueline, these photos of the foxes are amazing but I'm with your mum and would batten down the hatches!! Never trust a fox!! Weather here seems to have broken a bit, a lot of rain last night and a bit dull this morning but brightened up this afternoon and ended up very hot and sunny. Weird! One more day to go then I am off for 6 fab weeks!! Yahoo!! So sorry to hear about your colleague. Very sad when he achieved so much in spite of his illness. We never cease to be amazed and so very grateful for your second chance. Keep on keeping on!! lol Anne xxx

Me said...

Those foxes are gorgeous! I have hated all this negative fox press, Petes parents have a fox in their garden and never have any problem with it. Once when we stayed over and we sat eating breakfast overlooking the fox having a sunbathe. Why can't people learn to live with nature?!
Sorry to hear about your colleague xx

Anonymous said...

Those fox cubs would make a nice pair of slippers! :)

Your predictable cousin xx