Sunday, July 04, 2010

National Transplant Week

Today marks the start of National Transplant Week so I thought  I would go over some of the reasons people don't sign the donor register and see if I can change a few minds.  If one person signs up after reading this post, then it was worthwhile :)

General Facts
  • You can donate kidneys, liver, lungs, heart, pancreas and small bowel - saving up to 9 lives
  • Corneal tissue can give someone eyesight
  • You can choose not to donate particular organs/tissues
  • 94% people agree with donations, 96% would accept an organ - but only 28% are on the register
  • 8000 people in the UK are waiting for transplants but less than 3000 are carried out each year
"I have just never got round to it"
Probably the most common reason.  It's not something we tend to talk about in day to day to life and can be a uncomfortable topic.  We are usually too busy to even stop and think about this topic, especially if it not something that has affected your personal life.  New statistics have shown that 96% of the population would accept an organ if they needed a transplant.but only 28% of people have signed the register.  You need to consider if you are willing to accept an organ, are you willing to give? Transplant is not something that happens to "other people" - it is something that could happen to someone close to you or even happen to you.  So don't put it off any longer - sign up online in 2 minutes and make a decision that could change someones life forever.

"I have a donor card already"
The old donor card is not linked to the register - you need to do this online or via telephone.  The card is still useful but cards can become lost or damaged and you may not be carrying it at the time.

"My family would know what I wanted"
Would they really?   40% relatives do not agree to donation because they weren't entirely sure what the person wanted.  Even more important than signing the register is making loved ones aware of your wishes.

"I am too old anyway"
There is no cut off for age - people in their 80s have successfully donated organs and tissues.  The doctors can decide on individual cases so let them make that choice.

"I am too young"
Anyone can sign the register - there is no 'age of consent'.  Relatives would always be consulted in every circumstance, so again discussing with loved ones is the most important factor.

"I have a medical condition and/or take medication"
Most people with medical conditions can still donate - professionals will decide which organs would be suitable.  The only conditions which prevents donation is HIV and CJD.

"I wasn't allowed to even give blood - surely I wouldn't be able to donate organs?"
The criteria for blood and organ donation are completely different so don't let this put you off!

"They might not try and save me if I could be an organ donor"
The doctors first duty is to care for you - the treating doctors will not even be aware whether you are on the organ donor register.  This information would only become available after you died, at which point a different team of medical staff would assess for organ donation.

"My organs might go to someone in another country"
Organs would only be offered to other European countries if there is no match with anyone in the UK.  This ensures that organs are not wasted, and that UK patients are also offered organs from other countries under the same circumstance.  Believe me, as someone who waited 2 years for my lungs, I would accept organs from any country!

There are lots of reasons affecting peoples decision to sign the register so feel free to ask any questions you might have.  Could I ask people to click on my poll as to whether they have signed the register, have not or have now signed as a result of this post.   Can I also ask people to leave me a comment with reasons they have not signed the register (you can do this anonymously) so I can get a clearer idea of peoples concerns.   I am not here to talk people into signing the register - my aim is just to make sure you have all the facts in order to make an informed decision.  I do not believe people should be forced to donate - it is a gift that must be given freely and there cannot be a more important gift than this - the gift of life.

Click HERE to sign the register


4 comments:

Gill said...

Hi Jac,
I have had a donor card since 1994 but didn't realise it wasn't linked to the register. I have now registered!
Thanks
Gill

Post Pals said...

Hiya, I reposted your blog post onto a message board i go on and someone signed up today :)

lulu said...

This is a fab post Jac...I would like to route people to it from my blog if ok. Its class and it gets straight to the point xxx

Anonymous said...

Hi Jacqueline, just read your blog and for what it's worth have just registered! Can,t imagine what anyone would want of mine but we really must support this. Will get John to register too, must say he is a much healthier specimen than me so should be on register! You are doing a sterling job promoting this and hope you get lots and lots of new potential donors. lol Anne xx