Saturday, March 28, 2020

Isolation

I haven't blogged since January, as I had missed by February Newcastle appointment due to snow storms preventing us travelling.  It was rescheduled for 10th March.....just at the start of the worries about Covid-19.  At that time the team were advising us not to use public transport, but clinics were still running.  We decided on balance it was best to go at that point, as I knew the situation was going to get worse and I needed to be reviewed for the study.   I felt so paranoid at clinic - lots of hand washing and alco-gelling and avoiding as many people as I could!  Andrew was cycling to work to avoid the train, but Estelle was still in school, so we weren't really protected from the virus. Fortunately, the appointment showed a stable lung function and they were happy to give me 2-3 months reprieve.   Which was just as well, given the current situation.

The week after Andrew decided to start working from home to reduce the risk of bringing home the virus, and the Monday before the schools officially closed, I decided to take Estelle out of school.  The following day the government announced the most at risk groups.....and the special group of extremely high risk who would need to be "shielded".  Of course organ transplants (and Cystic Fibrosis) fall into the extremely high risk group requiring to be shielded.  The immunosuppression medication we take to prevent rejection of the organ increases risk of infection.  Unfortunately having chronic rejection puts me at even higher risk - this process was likely kick started by a viral infection originally and I have only just achieved some stability.  My lung function is not great (0.9litres/ mid 30s%) so I don't have any reserve to lose and it this Covid-19 could be catastrophic. 

So what does this shielding mean?  I'm expecting a letter any day now, which is to tell me I have to stay inside (no walks, not allowed to go to shops...nothing) for a minimum of 12 weeks.  The idea is to protect me from the peak of Covid-19.  Obviously I'm not waiting on the letter to heed this advice and I haven't left the house since Estelle stopped going to school nearly 2 weeks ago.  I am allowed in the garden.....and I am so grateful we have a fairly big garden and lots of sunshine last week!  

Although the rules state that Estelle and Andrew could socially isolate - so basically stay indoors as much as possible but be allowed to go to shop for food and walk once a day - this would mean I had to still stay 2 metres from them at all times to protect myself!!  I would need to basically isolate in a room.  Given that Estelle comes into my bed during the night (every night!), and I need to be there to do the home schooling/child care, while Andrew works from home....then this would be near impossible!  We are therefore all 'shielding' so to speak - all staying at home, only going in garden and relying on help to get our food etc.   We were fortunate to be well stocked up before the lock down (Andrew is very organised!), we already got milk delivered and managed to get a nice fresh fruit box delivered.  Estelle eats fruit like a fiend!!  My dad drove 50mins to leave bags of food on our doorstep, my friend collected prescriptions for me, another friend arranged to collect Estelle's school work and leave at the door.   My best friend has offered to bring me anything I need (another 50min drive) and my cousin keeps offering me her supplies! Friends and family are amazing!!  However I then do worry about putting other people at risk, especially my parents who still think they are young!!!

So far, we are coping well.  Estelle enjoyed the first week of home schooling with mummy - the novelty of one-to-one undivided attention!  I am saying home schooling, but we just do a couple of her worksheets in the morning, then do a mixture of activities - in my mind, everything is learning!  We have been enjoying looking at the webcams for various zoos and aquariums, watching the science centre daily experiments online, reading stories, baking, doing yoga and P.E lessons on youtube and lots of crafting.  We are making an underwater scene just now...lots of fun!  Of course there is also plenty of netflix and CBBC for downtime.

Estelle has adjusted remarkably well.  She had a difficult start to the 2nd week when she realised she really wasn't going back to school, so we had a pretty relaxed day and lots of hugs.  We can't go on our planned holiday to Center Parcs at Easter, but she is making plans for what she can do when we are able to go.  Last night she lay awake for 2 hrs, unable to sleep, as she was missing her friends.  It breaks my heart.  However she woke again today with a smile on her face and has spent most of the day in the garden - getting Andrew to play various games.  She learned to ride her bike last weekend without stabilisers, which has given her something to focus on.  She really is a very positive and incredibly resilient wee girl.  She makes me very proud!

For myself, it's a strange situation .  I've not been at work for so long, that being at home and slightly isolated is not a new experience.  In fact, given the number of illnesses/hospital admissions in the past, I am used to periods of social isolation and have never found it hard to keep myself amused.  What I am finding hard though, is suddenly losing all my down time!  I see people posting about taking this opportunity to read, watch netflix, take up hobbies etc.   Instead I have found myself thrown into role of full time child care - for a 5 year old who doesn't really sit still or stop for more than 10 minutes.  Andrew is at home, but working all day (of course he helps on evenings and weekends)  Although I am exhausted, I do feel that Estelle is benefiting from this time together.  I am taking it as an opportunity for connecting, growing and learning together and enjoying each others company.  It wouldn't surprise me if she looked back on this time as quite an adventure!

In the middle of all this crazy new life, we have Dexter.  I am thankful everyday that he joined our family when he did!  It is impossible not to smile when he comes racing to you, wagging his tail frantically.....which he does on a regular basis.  He is one of the happiest wee dogs I've ever met and he is so cuddly.  He is bringing such joy at a time when it can be hard to see beyond the negative news I am seeing daily - he reminds us all about living in the moment!  He spends half his day watching from the window, and is quite confused why there isn't many people to see just now!  He loves Estelle and I think this does help her feel as if she does have a friend with her.

In the meantime, thank goodness for text, whatsapp, phone calls and facetime!  Now we have access to so many ways to communicate with others and stay connected.... we are never truly isolated.


1 comment:

Unknown said...

Glad to hear from you again, Jaqueline! And once again I am astounded at your positive attitude. Take care and keep well.
Susan Hare